Point Perpendicular

This lighhouse was built in 1899 using new methods of precast concrete blocks, the walls are 3.5ft at the base tapering to 2.5ft at the top, with an internal diameter of 12ft. The light stands 204ft above the high water mark and is visible to 20 nautical miles to sea. The lighthouse is of enormous historic and symbolic importance to the area providing a safe shipping navigation beacon. Initially oil burning, it was converted to electric in 1964 and still functioned as a manned lighthouse signaling its light daily and gathering meteorological data until 1993 when it was automated to the present 19.7m meccano style tower. The lighthouse and other buildings are listed on the Australian Register of the National Trust. The head light house keeper's quarters were detatched, while assistants were in 2 semi-detatched quarters.

About 5 miles from the light house a road was constructed to an inlet of the Bay.. An L-shaped jetty 200ft long , 12ft wide was constructed along with a storage shed and water tank. The jetty protected from all but North & N-West winds provided access for supply deliveries instead of the long road haul from Nowra. The remains of the jetty can still be seen at Bindijine. Presently this cove and adjacent Honeymoon Bay are popular holiday and weekend destinations.

[back to jervis bay in depth]