H.M.A.S. Cresswell
H.M.A.S. Creswell In 1915 the navy opened its officer training college in the area , it operated until 1930 when in the depression years for economic reasons the facility was transferred to Flinders in Victoria.
Jervis Bay, growing in popularity as a tourist area; Creswell proved an ideal location with its buildings and wharves providing accomodation as a tourist resort. During World War Two it again became part of the navy, a large aircraft landing field was built nearby . After the war the buildings were used as convalescent hospital and rehabilitation centre for injured servicemen returning from the war. In 1958 the navy once again returned to Creswell to re establish it as an educational and training facility (still its present use) . The buildings have been listed in the national Estate Register.
The college was named after Rear Admiral Sir William Creswell who initiated college training for prospective naval officers. Nearby at the Jervis Bay Air Base, the home of the Jindivik. These remote controlled target aircrafts are powered by a Roll Royce engine giving performaces of 450 knots and steep climbs to excess of 18,000 metres. Jindiviks can tow a range of targets, featuring radar and infra-red augmentation to simulate real aircrafts. A camera within the aircraft records the exact time and place of target hits. Monitoring the Jindivik is maintained by both the air field tower and a ship a sea. After excercises are completed the craft in guided back to the air field, landing using a steel skid as landing gear.The jindivik's trailer alone costs $200,000.

[back to jervis bay in depth]