Bowen Island
Bowen Island, named after Lt Richard Bowen Royal Navy. A 10 year lease was granted in 1928 for the development of a pleasure resort .In 1942 the island was taken over for defence purposes, several buildings and a gun emplacement for twin 6 inch naval guns from the 1st world war H.M.A.S. Sydney were constructed. Approximately 120 personnel were billeted on the island until the duration of the war, most of these personal were women . In 1947 and 1953 different people had leases on the island , then in 1989 it was vacated after a long legal battle and now is managed by the national park.

There is colony of about 5000 fairy penguins on the island. They are the smallest penguins in the world at 30 centimetres tall and weighing about 1 kilo. With a lifespan of 7 years, a steely blue colour with a white belly giving great camouflage from predators both above and below the water .The penguins return nightly , from feeding far a-field ,to their burrows to regurgitate fish for their young chicks.

[back to jervis bay in depth]